We have owned and operated Walleys Quarry since 2016. The history of the quarry itself dates back to 1924, when it was originally a brick and tile works. The decades since then have seen it move through various ownerships and uses, including clay extraction and ultimately landfill. Here we outline key milestones in the site’s history, including the Walley name emblazoned on bricks of buildings that still stand today. These are the facts that give an understanding of the background of the site prior to the last 5 years, an insight to its evolution to today, and look towards its future.
Tarmac took over Walleys Quarry
In 1997 Tarmac took over Walleys Quarry and got planning decision for the site to be a landfill (granted by the secretary of state). Planning conditions 2 and 8 of that permission specify that only inert waste, non-hazardous industrial and commercial wastes as well as stable non-reactive hazardous wastes shall be imported into the site.
Site carried out in accordance with Planning Consent M23/02/011,
On 14th November 1997 the landfill activities at the site carried out in accordance with Planning Consent M23/02/011, granted (on appeal) It permits the mining and working of minerals and the deposition of waste at Walleys Quarry site.
Interim Development Order (IDO) planning consent
Walleys landfill site was granted the associated Interim Development Order (IDO) planning consent reference IDO/N/1 on 15th July 1998. This planning consent is also subject to Review of Mineral Planning (ROMP) legislation introduced by the Environment Act 1995 as a requirement for Mineral Planning Authorities to review, every 15 years.
Persimmon Homes (Mercia) Ltd
In the period 2000 to 2005 Persimmon Homes (Mercia) Ltd sought planning permission to develop land immediately adjacent to the landfill, for over 280 residences.
In 2006 engineering work to develop the site as a landfill facility commenced by Tarmac who applied for planning permission.